Skip to main content

Qualifications Recognition

Qualifications Recognition

Who assesses my overseas qualification?

Many organisations assess overseas qualifications in Australia..

Why you need your overseas qualification assessed will determine which organisation you need to contact. You may need your overseas qualification assessed for employment, study, or to migrate to Australia.

If you would like to migrate to Australia, contact the Department of Home Affairs. Qualifications Recognition Policy does not assess qualifications for migration.


The requirements to work in Australia depend on the occupation. In some occupations, these requirements must be met before you start working, and may be required by law. Meeting these requirements is usually a separate process to applying for a job. In all occupations, the employer decides who they will employ.

For specific occupations

Occupations that require specialised knowledge and skills in Australia have registration, licensing, professional membership or other industry requirements that must be met before you can start working. We do not assess qualifications for these purposes because in Australia, there are authorities responsible for these occupations.

If you are having difficulty identifying the relevant authority for your occupation, contact us.

For general purposes

If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, and are looking for a job with no specific requirements as above, you can contact an Australian state of territory government Overseas Qualifications Unit (OQU) listed below if you would like to know how your overseas qualification compares in Australia.

An OQU can assess your overseas qualification in general terms or provide you with further advice on how to get your overseas qualification recognised. We work with OQUs to facilitate their advice.

If you have been referred to Qualifications Recognition Policy by an OQU or another organisation for a qualification assessment see Services for individuals.

Australian Capital Territory

Overseas Qualification Unit, ACT Office of Multicultural Affairs
Phone: (02) 6207 0555

The ACT Overseas Qualification Unit is only able to assist clients who live in the ACT and can provide proof of address.

New South Wales

There is no Overseas Qualification Unit in NSW. However trade qualification can be assessed.

If you live in NSW and require an assessment of your trade qualification, contact State Training Services, NSW Department of Industry via email at

Northern Territory

Overseas Qualifications Unit, Department of the Chief Minister

Phone: (08) 8999 5511


Overseas Qualification Unit, Department of Employment, Small Business and Training

Phone: 1300 369 935


South Australia

Skilled Arrival Services

Immigration South Australia,
Department of State Development
Phone: 08 8303 2420


Tasmanian Assessment, Standards and Certification

Level 6, 39 Murray Street
Hobart TAS 7000
Phone: (03) 6165 6000


Overseas Qualifications Unit
Skilled and Business Migration Program
Phone: 1300 492 606

Western Australia

Overseas Qualifications Unit, Migration Services, Department of Training and Workforce Development

Phone:  (08) 9224 6540


If you would like to study in Australia, contact the education institution where you wish to study. The education institution, such as a university, higher education provider or registered training organisation, assesses overseas qualifications for admission to study. Information about Australia education providers, courses, scholarships, the application process and requirements is at Study in Australia.

Qualifications Recogntion Policy does not assess overseas qualifications for admission to study.

Services for organisations

For organisations involved in the assessment of overseas qualifications or international mobility, we provide Services for organisations.

Qualifications Recognition Policy

The Department of Education and Training manages qualifications recognition policy to support student and labour market mobility, including professional recognition and other activities formerly undertaken by the National Office for Overseas Skills Recognition (NOOSR).